Unless you have been living under a rock for the last few years, you must have come across strategy games on the internet. These games have been around for a few years now, and over time they have only increased in popularity. People of all ages and from all geographical areas have endorsed these games, and their soaring popularity has encouraged many indie game developers to develop games of the strategy genre. As a result, the strategy genre has become one of the most successful franchises in the gaming industry, so much so that millions of people all over the world are hooked to this genre of games.
So what makes strategy games popular? Is it the graphics or the rush they provide? Here are the main reasons for the immense popularity of strategy games:
Gone are the days when you needed to insert a physical disc to install games on your PC. Today online games are easy to play on the web as well as easy to download and play on the mobile. Strategy games are mostly streamed over the internet today, which makes the games technically far superior to the limited world that existed within the physical discs of yesteryears.
Today’s strategy games are endless worlds with a variety of characters and countless missions, thanks to regular map and mission updates of the games by game developers, which provides players with a much richer experience. Moreover, the deep storylines and fascinating gameplay add to the overall excitement.
How and why do people invest in games? How do strategy games provide value for money? Let’s take a look:
1. Most of the highest-ranking strategy games are either subscription-based or players need to pay a certain amount upfront to own the games.
2. Since the gaming worlds are seemingly endless, the amount one needs to spend to own or play these games is miniscule in view of the overall experience they offer.
3. Players can at times buy in-game items to personalize their characters or buy merchandise to make the in-game worlds better customized to their needs.
4. Constant updates also mean that any bugs are quickly fixed and suggestions by gamers are taken into account while rolling out newer maps, characters and missions, making the overall experience far more engaging than it would be if you were to play a game having linear gameplay.
5. Also, strategy games have many aspects of the real world and often involve scenarios from various domains that might include battle planning, emergency response and team management.
Even though it might sound counterproductive, strategy games offer an incentive for clashing with the opponent, which is much like the real world -- humans have been known to go for the areas with the best resources, resulting in clashes. So if we talk about strategy games in general, the rewards are amplified when a player decides to engage the opponent rather than playing defensive throughout the game. That presents a lot of challenges and gives you excitement, making strategy games a viable alternative to your run-of-the-mill first-person shooter games.
To understand how this incentive for clashing works, let’s take the age-old game of chess, which is of course an all-time favorite of many. In the game, both the players start with an equal number of pieces. However, as the game proceeds, it starts getting harder to protect the king. Therefore, the player who takes the initiative to go on the offensive has better chances of winning because they constantly force their opponent to be on the defensive.
What are major strategy games? Who can play strategy games? These are very common questions people have, as many people are not sure whether not so experienced players can play strategy games.
When one talks about top strategy games in general, games like DOTA, Battle Nations and Conqueror’s Blade come to mind first. These games, traditionally designed for hardcore gamers, are not for people who don’t like playing games that involve training armies and taking them to war as it can sometimes tend to be a slow burn and take significantly longer to master due to a high level of realism and ruse involved while dealing with the enemy.
However, it does not mean that this genre of gaming is not meant for people who are into hardcore gaming.
So the question arises, can casual gamers also play strategy games? Of course, they can. Here’s how:
1. Card games like Rummy, Poker and Blackjack also belong to the genre of strategy games.
2. You don’t require extensive training to play card games like Rummy, Poker and Blackjack.
3. Millions of players, including lots of newcomers, are today hooked to card games and are battling it out in a different war zone requiring equally sharp skills minus the weapons.
4. Card games often carry rewards in the form of cash prizes, which adds a lot more thrill to the overall experience and makes them immensely popular.
So if you are one of those people who love playing card games, you too can push it up a notch and join multiplayer gaming platforms to prove your mettle against thousands of players.
As we discussed above, strategy games aren’t only meant for hardcore gamers as there are a lot of strategy games that involve a lot of quick decision-making and tactics other than building an army and taking them to war. Here are some strategy games you can enjoy.
Rummy: Rummy is a card game where the basic goal is to build sequences and sets. It involves a lot of strategy and good decision-making skills. The game is hugely popular throughout the world and is believed to have been derived from the Mexican game of Conquian.
Poker: In Poker, you bet that the value of your hand/cards is greater than those of your opponents. Each subsequent player must either equal or raise the bet or drop out. The player holding the highest-value hand at the end of the betting wins the pot.
Blackjack: Blackjack is America’s version of Twenty-One. Unlike other card games, in Blackjack the player competes against the dealer as opposed to the other players. The game is played with one or more decks of 52 cards.
Solitaire: This game requires the players to reorder the deck by suit and rank by utilizing moves which involve transferring cards from one place to another under agreed restrictions. It is easier compared to the other three games and can be played by even the most casual of gamers.
If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you can enjoy strategy games anytime anywhere.
Let’s see how:
1. If you are a true gaming fan and would love to take your strategy games with you wherever you go, you can easily do that using your smartphone now and play your favorite games on the go.
2. Those superior graphics you see in PC games are designed to run equally well on your mobile devices.
3. With mobiles getting more and more powerful, mobile gaming is set to surpass PC gaming and console gaming in the future, which is why companies such as Nvidia are busy designing hand-held consoles that can run games that would traditionally require a high-end PC.
4. As gaming evolves, we will most likely see even casual card-based free strategy games such as Rummy, Poker and Blackjack go through big changes in their overall appearance and user experience.
5. Once 3D technology that allows you to play without the glasses becomes easily available, your mobile gaming experience will be a lot better, and it’s only obvious that it will make playing strategy games on the mobile even more popular.
Strategy games are becoming more and more popular by the day and are giving fierce competition to other genres, as they challenge your mind and push you to devise new and creative ways to solve complex challenges.
Now you might ask how? In case you are wondering about that, we have some cues for you:
Strategy games are all about management: Strategy games, unlike most of the other genres out there, require you to manage a lot of things. That’s not to say that other genres don’t require that, but when it comes to strategy games, proper management of assets at hand is crucial to the game.
You need to play smart: Even if you decide to play against AI, as opposed to a real player, this genre can turn out to be highly unpredictable and keep you on your toes at all times because things will quickly turn against you if you are not judicious with whatever assets or resources you have in the game.
Teaches you the art of ruse: The best strategy players are masters of the art of ruse, as it’s one of the most crucial skills you need to win. You need to be able to trick the opponent into thinking that you are losing whereas in reality you have the upper hand. No other genre of games can teach you to master this art as good as this genre does.
Gives you situational awareness: Being aware of the things happening around you and quickly adapting accordingly is one of the most important things in life. Strategy games make you incredibly intuitive when it comes to situational awareness. And this skill will help you go a long way not only when you are playing a game, but in real life as well.
Strategy games are one of the top performing genres in the overall gaming industry. Not only has the genre attracted the millennials, it’s even played by old people who want to explore something more than a typical game of Candy Crush or Temple Run on their mobiles.
With cheaper data plans and easy availability of smartphones, the market is literally flooded with games that fall in this genre. If you are someone who loves games that have a bit of flair and throw random challenges your way without sticking to a linear direction, then strategy games are surely the way forward for you. And with so many games to choose from, you are surely going to find one that suits your style of gaming.
So the next time you are in a mood to have some fun, get that phone out of your pocket and start playing best strategy games like Rummy, or any other game that excites you!